Saturday, August 11, 2012

Roy Rogers


When my mother became a widow, she no longer cooked meals for herself. She took to spending her afternoons in a favorite chosen booth, window side at Roy Rogers. There she would pass her time reading, doing cross word puzzles, and drawing near to her anyone who liked conversation with their coffee.


My mother soon became a "Regular" along with other Regulars who also had their favorite booths and spent their afternoons window side. The Regulars all knew each other by name, their life's story, and their most pressing ailment of the day.


My mother spent so much time at Roy Rogers, that if I needed to speak to her during the day, I would call the restaurant and ask for her by name.  She was loved by the employees for her willingness to listen to their problems and give advice when needed.


One afternoon she noticed an older gentleman in a windbreaker, a ball cap on his head, tray of food in his hands, looking for a window spot to sit. My mother asked if he would like to join her. Comfortable right away, the gentleman expressed that he was in the area to visit his sister and did she know of anyone who taught art as his sister had expressed an interest in taking lessons. My mother told him she taught a seniors group art lessons and would be happy to include his sister. Information was exchanged, the man was so grateful.


My mother asked if the gentleman would sign her tray liner to give to her grandson Christopher. The man asked, "How did you know it was me?"


My mother replied, "You may look like a truck driver, but they don't usually wear Rolex watches!"


My mother may have been a Regular, but she lived an extraordinary life!

23 comments:

Erica of Golden Egg Vintage said...

What a cute story! And what a darling mother! :)
Hope you're having a great weekend Elizabeth!
Erica

Terra said...

This is a darling story about your mom, and I like the cute creations that illustrate it.

Loretta Castorini said...

What a sweet story! Made me a little teary.

Jennifer Pearson Vanier said...

Wonderful story to share. I love everything you create!

Linda said...

Love that story. Sounds like your mom was fabulous!

donna said...

That is such a sweet story.
Hugs
donna

Unknown said...

What a sweet story and Roy Rogers was my absolute hero growing up, your crafts took my breath away! AWESOME!

Shirley Hatfield said...

Your mother was amazing! And so is the way you told her story...such a delightful twist! Love it very much! =D

My Vintage Mending said...

I imagine she gave him as much as he gave her. What a sweet story. Smiles...Renee

laurie -magpie ethel said...

Love that your mom was a regular and you called her there if you needed her. You always have something new to share story wise!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Wow! I wasn't expecting that ending, Elizabeth! How extraordinary. I love your little cowgirl and her magazine!

Anonymous said...

What a great ending! Yee-haw! ♥

Musings from Kim K. said...

What a fantastic story. A lovely way to start my Sunday morning.

Unknown said...

Love your stories!!And I love your new cowgirl!!

chris

Janet's Creations said...

I loved Roy Rogers -- I saw him and Trigger in the Rose Festivale Parade when I was a kid. So exciting!
And... I love your stories and your creations.

RetroSandie said...

Another wonderful story E!!!!! I see where you got your beautiful golden heart from!!!!!

craftyles said...

Great story about your Mom and what lovelies to illustrate it. Your creations are a whole world of their own. I love them! Hope you are having a nice weekend!

Linda Ruthie said...

Loved this story about your mother. I'll bet that Roy was flattered that your mother recognized him.
This makes me think of my widowed 92 year old uncle who meets with the other senior singles at McDonald's for coffee most mornings.
There's also a local restaurant where the ROMEOs meet. That stands for Retired Old Men Eating Out.☺

GardenOfDaisies said...

Aw, this was a sweet story. I love your lasso hearts.

marie said...

Love your little rodeo girl and your sweet hearts....but most of all I love the stories you share! Thanks for the smile!!

Val said...

What sweet memories. As always, you're a rich storyteller, Elizabeth.

Kim Campbell said...

What an awesome story. My mom used to tske me yo the rodeo when I was kid. I got to see Roy Rogers.

voyance par mail gratuit said...

I am really pleased with reading your blog!!! Excellent content wrote, thanks