Tuesday, June 12, 2012

When Harry Met Sally


A cross-town excursion, a soldier who would never fill out his uniform. A tiny woman in a red polka dot dress. He made her laugh and laugh again, a number exchanged before the end of the line. One heart recognizing it's own beat in another. Commitment to faith, their One true love.


Ornella would bring nine children into hers and Jimmy's lives. Cross words never spoken when prayer and laughter could solve any problem. I would beg to watch their home movies as a new mother to learn the secrets of their parenting success. "Joy. It is as simple as that. Jimmy and I couldn't wait for the day to begin to see our children. Each was a precious gift from God. How lucky were we to be so blessed?"


The pattern of Ornella's days could be found in her kitchen. Blinds opened before dawn, coffee pot percolating, laundry to fold on the table. Breakfast eggs and toast, sandwich production on the counter, brown sack kisses, home after school. Freshly baked cookies, out the door again, wash up for dinner, prayers of thanks. Round table homework, baths on Saturday, kneeling on Sunday. Blinds closed with the last laundry folded.


When you looked at Ornella, she would be looking at Jimmy. If you looked at Jimmy, he would be looking at Ornella. You could see the tiny woman in the red polka dot dress and the tall soldier in a uniform never to be filled out. You could see their hearts beating together as one. You could see love in it's truest form.


Jimmy was called home first, and there he waited. Ornella was found not long after at her kitchen table, her window blinds opened. Young love waiting to meet again "When Harry Met Sally."

Jimmy was my father-in-law's best friend for 75 years.



17 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh E,
What a wonderful love story....make me cry....to be so blessed! Thank you for sharing about them....Love the little dutch girls!

Jennifer Bontrager said...

What a sweet little story. It seems like real love isn't like this anymore. Tender and sweet. Its all about lust now.
I am enjoying seeing your recreate your little crafts. Please post pics as you get them done. I have been spying some sweet pom pom birds. They are one of my favorite crafts you do.

RetroSandie said...

Such a lovely story-reminds me of my dear sister and brother-in-law. She recently passed away, and we fear that her beloved husband may follow soon after. So nice to hear the story of a lifelong love even when the ending is sad.

Debby said...

Such a sweet story. They are smiling in Heaven as they read this.

Jane said...

What a sweet story of love and devotion! Those sweet little Dutch girls sure do have some lovely furniture!

K @ Aurora Blythe said...

What a sweetly inspiring story. I am sorry for the loss, but thankful you are keeping their story going. Thank you!

Pam @ Frippery said...

What a beautiful post. Reminds me of my In-laws. A truly devoted couple.

My Vintage Mending said...

Sweet love stories that are so hard to find these days. Those peg dutch dolls and oh the heart I love so much. Beautiful uplifting story...smiles..Renee

Linda Ruthie said...

Elizabeth,
The way you tell a story is truly a gift. And this one is such a lovely story. It reminds me of my mother's aunt & uncle.
I'm so glad to get a peek at your adorable dollhouse furniture. I had forgotten how beautiful those dollhouse rooms were.
I also wanted to thank you for your visit to my blog. And yes, we are two of a kind. I've suspected that ever since I first met you.

vintage grey said...

Beautiful and precious love story. What a blessing it is to be able to carry on their memories. Thank you for sharing. Your Dutch girls are too sweet! xo Heather

vivian said...

what a sweet story.. you have such a talent for telling the simpliest of stories Elizabeth!
and you make the sweetest little dolls!
xoxo
vivian

Musings from Kim K. said...

I'm wiping away tears. What a lovely story. Thank you for sharing. Your little dutch girls are just delightful. You know I'm smitten with your sweet doll house furniture too.

Anonymous said...

A sweet and TRUE story! there's nothing as inspring to me as a happy homemaker and a happy home!

Your little pieces of furniture and accesories are as cute as can be, E! ♥

Ina said...

75 years together...how lucky they both were. Thank you for sharing their story! :)

I LOVE the little bed and chair with your peg doll! So cute! ;p

craftyles said...

What a sweet story. Your little dutch girls and lovely dollhouse scene is too cute for words!

lala said...

I do so enjoy your stories very much, and not just the tale itself, but the special way you have of telling it - you definitely have a gift. I am also so enthralled by the level of detail you put into all of your creations. I don't think my eyes or my fingers are capable of crafting on such a small scale as you do - your work is just so lovely and absolutely charming.

rosi said...

Hello, your blog is too beautiful! I come every day and I like it very much !!! Thank you and good luck!

voyance par mail gratuite ; voyance en ligne