Sunday, June 17, 2012

Inspiration Frustration?


Perhaps you are someone like me who loves to craft vintage but doesn't have access to all the wonderful chatskies needed to create the look.


My favorite place to find Forever-Keeps is Vintage Street Market. They have assembled everything needed in kits for you to purchase. They provide a to-die-for photograph of the finished project you can already picture in your home, but you haven't any instructions to follow once all the bits and bobs are scattered across your craft desk. Inspiration Frustration?  Never fear! There are a few simple rules you can follow.


There is always a main focal point to any craft. Here it is the adorable reproduction snowman positioned very close to the center fold of cone. "Greetings" cut from the included vintage card will become my secondary focal point. I have stuffed the cone at this point to help with perspective.


My favorite rule in crafting is ZIG ZAG. Whether horizontal or vertical, your eye should flow from one element to another without "dropping". It should zig zag! From the top of the snowman's hat to the "S" and "G", your eye moves along without a break.


Focal points in place, it's time to embellish them. My favorite part!  Following the zig zag rule again, add items that are pleasing to you where the eye stops to rest. It's at the top of the zig, the bottom of the zag!


Another crafting tip is to look at embellishments not only for what they actually are, but for the color or texture they may add. A horrible dime store bow at first seems headed for the throw away pile, but it's velvety brightness peeking from behind the snowman adds height in the direction of the zig zag.


Is it Christmas in June? No, but it is a quite day here at Creative Breathing, crafting with friends, a favorite way to spend the day.

19 comments:

Shabby Brocante, Karen said...

Oh, wow. That is SO SO SO cute!!
It's amazing how you put that all together. Great pictures! Love it!

Terrie R. said...

I love it! Thanks for the zig zag trick, I've never thought of it that way. ~ Terrie

Pam said...

When creating a scrapbook page or card, I consider myself "embellishment challenged". Thank you for sharing the zig-zag trick. I will use that when doing my own crafting. Thanks for sharing!

Shirley Hatfield said...

I never knew about the zig zag trick...totally makes sense! Thank you for this fun post...I've been thinking about working on some Christmas and Halloween projects. I need to get out my boxes of vintage craft supplies and get them sorted, I feel a craft marathon coming on. =D

laurie -magpie ethel said...

filing the zig zag rule in my crafting brain. Can't believe you are working on Christmas goodies!

vintage grey said...

Lovin' the zig zag rule! Great trick! Such a beautiful Christmas piece you have created! I have been already looking into Christmas projects, too! Never to early. :) xo Heather

My Vintage Mending said...

So much can be said for your perfect placement. This is one rule I will continue to work on. You have perfected it so. Gorgeous little snowman cone. Off to check out this store...smiles...Renee

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Oh, Christmas in June! Sweet and cute! Thanks for the zig-zag method to make things better!
Off to post and read some blogs.
Warmly,
deb

Cindy said...

Very cute! I love all the little pieces I've collected and sometimes have trouble deciding what to do with them. Blogs like yours to the rescue!

RetroSandie said...

I like the zig-zag method! I will keep that little trick in mind for future crafting. You cone is precious...it really looks vintage! Thanks for sharing your fun kit!!!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That is too adorable, Elizabeth! Thank you for your tips on the zig zag ~ that makes so much sense. We went to my daughter's yesterday afternoon for a few hours and in the morning I worked on a project, too. It was a nice, relaxing day.

Musings from Kim K. said...

You always inspire and I appreciate your tips. Thanks for sharing. I can never get enough Christmas!!

LBP said...

I really do like that Christmas decoration and I think I will use it as an inspiration for a Halloween decoration as somehow my mind is on Halloween decorations right now... go figure...

Blessings

Linda

craftyles said...

The Christmas cone is adorable. I do get stuck when I'm trying yo get creative-and you've given some really great tips! Love the Zig Zag tip.

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

Such a cute Christmas decoration :) And so fun too. Hugs, Holly

Anonymous said...

Adorable. Thank you for all the good tips. This would have been a perfect post for our annual Christmas in July blog party, but this year I'm changing it to Snow in July (white-themed). Hope you'll join us.
Much love,
Marcia

rosi said...

Thank you for the good times in your blog. I am often in the position to watch (again and again) those wonderful articles you shared. Really interesting. Good luck to you!

voyance gratuite ; voyance par mail

voyance en ligne email said...

I thank God I can still pick an apple off my tree and eat it on the spot without having to worry about chemicals.

Ginene Nagel said...

I come back to your blog often and wander back and back to see things I have never seen because I found you here after you were doing the needlepoint Christmas ornaments. I just love your original blog and I am so grateful that you left the patterns on for people to enjoy your work, creativity and designer's eye. Thank you. ~