Sunday, December 5, 2010

Snowmen on a ME Monday!


Did we know to love snowmen before Mary Englebreit? I don't think I did until seeing her personal collection in her wonderful magazine Home Companion.

I can't tell you how many years I have wished at this photograph for snowmen of my own.

Snowmen used in crafts? How perfectly perfect! A snowman craft to share with you.


A small jar with lid becomes a cute as can be place to hold red buttons. A Christmas ornament looked at in a new way is hot glued to a round topper. A strip of  felt pinked to make icicles glued around the rim of the jar, a little glitter, ready to go!


You can't have a collection unless there is two! Another snowman craft for you. (Please for one moment make this your screen saver....got it?..... Wishing you a joyous holiday season! Elizabeth)


SUPPLIES: Large and smaller Styrofoam ball, paper clay and water, toothpicks, peppermint stems formed by twisting two white and two red together, hot glue. Paints; white, black, red, stiff larger brush, thin liner brush.  Tacky Glue or Modge Podge, varnish, clear glitter.


Step 1: Use thumb to press small amounts of clay onto smaller head form until a thin layer completely covers all Styrofoam. Form small ball, score both surfaces, use a we finger to smooth away edges of nose.


Step 2: Insert toothpicks 1/4th way into bottom of head.


Step 3: Insert arms and legs into body to designate placement. Remove and set aside. Do you see the little snowman in the background? My inspiration for this craft!


Step 4: Body covered in clay, stems inserted, head positioned leaving just enough space for clay to dry. (I also inserted ornament topper to create holes) Set aside to dry overnight. On to the cutest trees ever!


SUPPLIES:  1 packaged same color mixed sized flowers. (Michaels $4.99 will make 5 trees), Wilton's candy sticks (extras will be used in up coming peg dolls as arms), miscellaneous buttons, thin red ribbon, hot glue.

Step 5:  Small amount of hot glue at top of candy stick, spiral ribbon down length, secure with hot glue at bottom.Vintage buttons turned over make perfect bases for the trees. Make one tree without a base for your snowman! I had to slightly enlarge slits in centers of flowers to slip onto sticks. I added a little hot glue after each layer added to hold in place.


My tree without base made,  now back to my snowman!


STEP 6: I have used a stiff brush to paint my snowman all white. (It is very easy to paint around stems) Use pencil to draw eyes, go over with black paint. Paint nose and mouth. When dry, cover eyes and nose only with varnish.


STEP 7: Use Tacky Glue with drops of water added for ease in spreading or Modge Podge just as it is. Completely cover head area avoiding eyes and nose. Sprinkle with glitter. Tap off excess. Cover half top of body with glue and glitter, tap off excess. Hold by leg stems to complete rest of body area. Let completely dry. Now for the fun part...


I think this is one of the cutest crafts I have ever made! I used my "What's on Hand" motto to complete my snowman. A large vintage spool of ribbon becomes his base, buttons his snow. I made little mittens with red felt scraps, and a little buckle found at the scrapbook store many years ago.


My little brother in his Christmas red striped pajamas was the inspiration for my snowman's legs. Oh, the sweetness of memory is such a blessing!


Mary Englebreit, I love that you shared your vision of the world with us through your wonderful Home Companion and I especially love being able to share Snowmen with you on a ME Monday!


37 comments:

GardenOfDaisies said...

This is sooooo cute! I love the picture of you and your little brother.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Well, he is just too cute! I love the ornament used as a topper also. He is perfect to hold your newly made trees!

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Elizabeth, this snowman and the trees are the cutest ever. I can't wait to try my hand at making some of these, but I think it is going to have to wait until after Christmas. Not enough hours in the day now. Guess what? I finished my Peppermint tags. They will be coming in the mail this week! I won't post about them until you get them. I want you to be surprised. I hope you like them. Have a wonderful week. Love & blessings from NC!

Cherry Chick said...

Dear Elizabeth,
I just LOVE your little snowman buttons jar! Everything about it is darling and so creative.
I was ohhhing and aahhing out loud when I saw how you made your flower Christmas trees. So very clever you are.
It's a wonderful post and thank you for sharing your talents with all of us.
Happy ME Monday...Vicki

Debby said...

I do believe that is my most favorite thing that I have ever seen you make.
And I thought all the others were just unbelievable THIS one is my favorite. I am so in love with your little man. You talent blows me away.

ImagiMeri said...

Elizabeth.........I'm so giddy you made another snowman with paperclay! I absolutely love your trees, you are so amazingly creative. I imagine you in your beloved little craft room, crafting away......little hands deftly twisting, bending, glueing, folding.......just a blur of activity. It makes me so happy to have that image in my mind. You are truly gifted and one of my best and most favorite inspiring people.

Love you,
Meri

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You can make anything, Elizabeth! I'm always amazed at your talent! Enjoy the holiday season with all of your pretty things! Hugs! ♥

Anonymous said...

Just too cute. Thanks for the step by step inspiration.
Now, how do you make those adorable snowdogs I see in the background?

Cindy said...

Elizabeth..the snowman is so creative! Do you think my grandchildren..ages 7 and 10 could work with this paperclay? Do you get it at Michaels or any hobby store?
I have found some really unusual shape vintage jars lately for 10 cents I look at them and think..put something on top of them..you have me hooked..at least in thinking not doing yet! lol

Hugs Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

Sue H @ Astrachic Studio said...

Hi,
YES, Snowmen and Ladies are my
fav thing at Christmas. Even
if it is hot here in Australia!
Maybe that is why?
No snow for us :(
But looking forward to beach
fun instead. Your snowmen/lady
creation was what made me
check out your blog.
Sue

Lisa said...

Love, love, love the snowman! Actually, I *LOVE* all the crafts you make. I'm going to have to try this one myself. Those trees are adorable too ~ I'm going to run to Michaels first thing tomorrow and grab a container.
Have a great week!

Sarah said...

I agree, this is one of the cutest crafts I've seen. What a clever idea for the tree! Thanks for sharing these darling snowmen. Great post!
Happy M. E. Monday! ~ sarah

Angela said...

Another snowman with a belt!! I love all the special details you gave him!

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

Oh I love this! The paper trees are fantastic too!! Great job!

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

OOOOOOOH! I love your snowman and I can do this! So charming! You are one of the most whimsical and charming blogs on the block, that's for sure!

MJ said...

So cute!!! And it turned out really well :) Thank you fr sharing :)

★Carol★ said...

Oh Elizabeth, I just adore that snowman! He looks so vintage, and those trees are so whimsical. I bet ME would love one of your snowmen to add to her collection!

Hearts Turned said...

Oh, what jolly snowmen, Elizabeth! I love your newest edition--you're inspiring me to dabble in paper clay today! (Michael's here I come!)

Hoping your Monday is creative and delightful, my friend!

Julie

barncat (Lisa) said...

You amaze me how you can just look at a picture and make something! And make it look so easy that I might actually be able to do it too. Love that snowman!

craftyles said...

That is the such a cute snowman. You are so creative to use what you have on hand. I love his little ornament topper and the vintage pic that he's holding. Also love his peppermint legs. Great job!

Unknown said...

How adorable, love that tree.

NanE said...

Oh my gosh, how stinkin cute is that snowman! I LOVE it! I have always swooned over that same picture from ME!
My snowmen don't come out until January, after all the Christmas stuff comes down. I leave them up till Valentines day. Since we don't get snow here, it's my way of having a little winter.
Oh, and YES, it is the same Otterbein! Emily will be the 4th generation to graduate from Otterbein if all goes as planned. Thank for the compliment on my DDs, I think they are pretty cute :)!

Unknown said...

You still amasze me witht he scope of your crafting kiddo!!!!! WOW! I still want to get over to Meri's once day to do the last project with the paper clay! VERY VERY Mary E !!!!!! :):) Have a great week! Sandy

Sally Annie Magundy said...

You are amazing and inspiring Elizabeth! I (almost, shiver shiver shake) feel like I could make a snowman now - which I would love to do. I will try to screw up my courage and follow your lead.

Thank you for sharing your creativity with us!

Happy Monday,
Sally

PamKittyMorning said...

I am so impressed by all your wonderful crafts. Those snowmen are so completely cute. Nice work. Merry Christmas! xo

Debbie Doughty said...

Elizabeth, your trees and snowman are so adorable! Thanks for sharing how to make them. Not sure if I'll have time, but I already put your snowman on my desktop to enjoy :) (I didn't know you could do that so easily!)

Tamera's Craft Palace said...

ADORABLE!!! You need an Etsy Shop!!!!

Angela said...

You keep me in awe of your talent and I'm wishing I could have that cute ornament snowman!!! Soooo darling! I kind of have a thing for snowmen lately, too. I still have the heads of the paper mache snowman you last inspired me to do. Love all you do!!

Reality Jayne said...

cute stuff.... as always

Anonymous said...

Wow, I thought at first that was an expensive purchased snowman! I've never used paper clay before but I so want to make one. Last year I was messing around with cotton balls and styrofoam, water and glue...I somehow managed to create a snowman! It took forever to dry 'tho..paper clay must be a lot faster. Found items are always the best creations..my New Year's resolution is to use up everything I have (and all the recycled bits & bobs) and to stop buying more craft store stuff.

Holiday Sparkle - Cyndi LaChance said...

OMG!!!!! These are AMAZING!!!!!!!!

Betty said...

Oh my gosh...Oh my gosh! I have to go buy some of that paper clay today. That is the cutest snowman ever and I love, love his little ornament holder hat!! You need to write a book for every season. I would buy every single one and give them away as gifts to my craft friends too!!

A Bee In My Bonnet - Leslie Anne said...

I took your suggestion Elizabeth, and made the picture of your snowman my screensaver, and it's just gorgeous! Surrounded by a green border that's just a little darker than the darker greens of your tree, it just pops off my screen! It's just the feeling I was looking for! Thank you!
I've not done any crafting in recent years, but I keep saving up ideas. My husband is taking me to the craft store today so I can pick up a few things to complete projects I've wanted to work on for years - like the turkey carcass Santa's sleigh that my grandmother made many years ago! If they turn out successfully, I'm going to work up my courage and try your paper clay snowman & tree. With that success under my belt, you've got so many more things I want to try! I can't wait!

Kim with a K said...

I am so glad I found your site!!!
It's March and I'm in the mood to make snowmen thanks to you!!!
I have LOVED this type of ornament for years but NEVER thought of making them!!!!
WOW!!! You make me HAPPY!!!

paintedlady89 said...

Adorable!
Hugs,
Gigi

Tea in the Library said...

Elizabeth,
You raise the bar, you really do. Many (MANY)years ago I made some snowbunnies and thought they were precious... after looking at your creations I want to go find them and hide them all the poor things. Thank you for all the sharing!

voyance email amour said...

Congratulations to the site it is very nice to be more interactive and more originale.De it has a lot of content and links.