Sunday, February 17, 2013

Valentine Keepsake Tutorial


My most favorite days working were the years spent at Gooseberry Patch. I couldn't wait to pick-up conversations left unfinished between the calls I took from customers. Laughter buoyed our spirits late into the night. We forgot we had families and homes waiting for our return.


With each new publication shared with my customers, creative images filled my mind's eye waiting for the opportunity to come to be. You have seen in nearly every photo posted my Christmas Keepsake Frame, a project featured in "Gooseberry Patch Christmas All Through the House", finally, one for the other Red Holiday on the calendar, a Valentine Keepsake Frame.


SUPPLIES: 8x10 white frame (I painted a wooden document frame), printed paper cut to size of glass, cardboard, Valentine Hankie (one half, cut in half), fat-quarter fabric, med. sized rick rack, embellishments, hot glue.


STEP 1: (Steps 1-3 preform on ironing board) Iron fat-quarter in half lengthwise. Pull fabric one inch from center (finger) towards center creating a pleat, iron. Repeat left of center.


STEP 2: Lay frame on top of pleated fabric to determine how wide fabric pocket should be. Push outside of fabric towards center of fabric to create a pleat just inside frame edge, iron.


STEP 3:  Position hankie in a pleasing way. Fold hankie edges under itself to match pleat edges (finger), iron edges.  Excess hankie will go behind pocket front and between pleats in back of pocket.


STEP 4:  Position frame over pockets to determine to how deep you want them to appear in relationship to  the open space above pockets.  Cut two equal pieces of cardboard measuring from inside edge of frame. Slip cardboard between layers of fabric.


STEP 5:  Place paper on top of glass, position pockets (cardboard edge flush with bottom of glass), fit within frame, tuck fabric towards exposed glass, replace frame backing, push down metal tabs. Now for the fun part - EMBELLISH to your HEART is CONTENT!


OH MY GOSH! I did not notice at first that I had chosen a Valentine and cookie cutter that tells the story of my photograph of my very first boyfriend. "Rain or Shine, Benny. Won't you Be Mine?"


Of course my frame includes my lifetime's Valentine, my husband. How cute is his First Grade photograph! Do you notice the little tag I have created from a greeting card Maker's Mark? "Forget-me-not". So sweet!


Oh how I loved my days at Gooseberry Patch, and oh how I do love my Valentine Keepsake Frame!





25 comments:

Scrap for Joy said...

I love pockets....a place to stash prize possessions. The photos of you and your sweetie are so cute-50's photos are the best! Everything about this project is a treat for the eyes.
Now I guess we're on to Easter crafting.
xoxo
Joyce

Holly said...

Oh Elizabeth! Thank you so much for this tutorial. Yes, I have been gathering supplies to make this and you are right I just can't bring myself to cut my Valentine hankies :( I recently bought a vintage Scrabble game for the letters and can you believe it-there was not a "Y" to be seen! I am uploading a tutorial today on how I fixed that "Y" problem. Thank you again for the awesome tutorial, Holly
ps I needed the "Y" to spell Irish eyes :) I already had one "Y" to spell St. Patty's Day but needed another. Have a great crafty day!

Unknown said...

OMG!!!! What a great idea!!!! Elizabeth you are amazing....:) LOVE it!!!!

The Custards said...

That is very kind to share how to make this. As always a lovely collection of beautiful bits and bobs
Kind regards
Jenny

RetroSandie said...

I love this idea - it makes such a pretty and sentimental statement. Thank you for your tutorial-this is a project (gosh, another one! :) ) that I would like to do!!!
Hugs, XOXO

Denise said...

Well for crying in the bucket-I had no idea you had worked for Gooseberry Patch.You are just that talented though so no giant surprise :)Hugs to you Denise

vivian said...

how sweet your little keepsake frame is, your husband was adorable and his picture is the perfect touch for your creation!
have a great day Elizabeth!
xoxo

Erica of Golden Egg Vintage said...

This couldn't be any cuter! Thank you so much E for showing us step by step!
Can't wait to see what's in store for Easter!
Erica :)

BucksCountyFolkArt said...

Hi E!
Just wanted to tell you how happy I am when you visit! Hope to have something artsy up soon but dealing with house problems right now!
Jill

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

What a great keepsake frame, Elizabeth! I love it! Thank you for the tutorial on how to do it. The hankies are just wonderful, too.

Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth! This is so darling and thanks for telling us how to make one! I didn't know you worked for Gooseberry Patch! I love it!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Debby said...

That frame is so cute. Your hubby was a cutie too.

Tammy's in Love said...

E! I loved the Christmas frame but this one is full to the brim with cuties, now I'm inspired!

Perfectly Printed said...

Such a great idea! This is just so sweet! Love the picture of your Valentine!

Chrs

Laura said...

Love this tutorial! That sure is pretty...Your artwork is always spectacular!!

vintage grey said...

Love, love your Valentine Keepsake frame! So sweet!! xo Heather

Cindy said...

This is so cute! Thanks so much for taking the time to show us all how you make your pretties.

Musings from Kim K. said...

This is such a fun tutorial and could easily be changed up with each new season/holiday. Darling picture of your husband. You always bring a smile and a new inspiration!

Unknown said...

What a great idea...your creativity never ceases to amaze me, I'm like holly I,don't know if I can steel myself to cut the hankie though...LOL! Have a fun week dear Elizabeth

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

Oh so cute!! You always come up with so many cute ideas!! And thank you once again for being so sweet and sharing the tutorial with us! :) Happy new week! xo Holly

jeri said...

I am amazed daily at your unbelievable talent. Your blog is the highlight of my day. I hurry home from work each day to see what you're up to. You are so generous to share all you do. I was wondering about purchasing your book? How would I do that? Thanks so much for all your goodness.

Amazed
Jeri

Nan said...

Well E you did a wonderful job on this it came out just beautiful!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a fun project and one I really need to make. I have collected and printed a few Valentines and it would be nice to keep them altogether. I mentioned you on my blog tonight! Sweet hugs!

voyance gratuite par mail said...

Nice Stuff..! I also wish him good luck to defend his gold medal. I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.

voyance par mail said...

Sweet blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News. Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News? I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Thanks