Thursday, January 10, 2013

Why Daughters Call their Fathers When they really want their Mothers


One of the peculiarities of becoming an Empty Nester is the ability to tell when one of your offspring is calling on the telephone. I never rush to get up and answer when I know it is my daughter calling because I know she likes to begin her conversation with her father.


"Hi Dad, I'm calling between classes. Isn't the weather pretty today? Yes, work went well this morning, our sales are up. Can I talk to Mom?"


"Hi Mom, guess what? I signed up for a boxing class."


"What do you mean you signed up for a boxing class? Do you need this class to graduate? You aren't going to let anyone hit you are you? You know you have had several concussions. Does Joe know you are taking a boxing class? How are you going to work when your whole body hurts from being hit? You better wear a helmet! Do you have to buy your own gloves? Well, I guess if you made it through the Police Academy, you will survive boxing. So are you excited to box? Let me know if you need help with funds. I love you, too. Goodbye, sweetheart."


When I hung up the phone, I went and stood before my husband. "Have you noticed Kellye tells me what she would never have the courage to tell you for fear of your disapproval?"


To which my husband calmly replied, "Well, after listening to you talk yourself into supporting her latest adventure, I'm good to go!"


No wonder their conversations are always so lighthearted! What a smart daughter I have!

19 comments:

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

Lol I'm kind of the same way when I call mom and dad :) Have a wonderful day!! xo Holly

Debby said...

Oh I can relate to this. My kids will ask/tell me things they would never ask/tell their dad. It's like we soften to blow. They know that I will share the info with their dad. I would have said the same things you did about the boxing.
Loving all your hearty things.

Unknown said...

Having 5 daughters i can say your post today is right on!!
Warmly Chris

vintage grey said...

A smart daughter indeed, and what wonderful and supportive parents she is so blessed with!! Have a crafty day, Elizabeth!! xo Heather

said...

I live in California and my parents live in Florida. My mom is my best friend and when I call home (usually every other day it seems) if my Dad answers our conversation is only 4 sentences long "Hey Dad, what's shakin'?" "Same old same old" "What's shakin' with you?" "Not much, hey, is mom there?" I love my Dad but my Mom and I are phone friends for sure.

Patty said...

I love your Valentines!

Sally Annie Magundy said...

Such a cute post Elizabeth! My dad and I pretty much only shared jokes and lightness together - all the things of import, I talked to my mom about.

I've just sent you an email re my poodle pic :)

Happy almost weekend!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love all those cute Valentine faces in your craft room, Elizabeth! Yes, it does seem as if we are the messenger. I think they know we can keep the Dads calm!

Musings from Kim K. said...

I can totally relate. I did the same thing, probably still do, and I see Emma now doing the same thing. Smiles.

Unknown said...

lol...oh yes, I still have those talks once in a while also...:) I just got out my Valentine stuff, you have me so inspired!!!! I just wish I knew where to start...:) Once i get going I am great, but that figuring out what to do is a stinker!

Unknown said...

I'm not sure if its a daughter thing or a mother thing...my son when he wants something or wants to do something he usually approaches me...unless of course it's something to do with his car, then it's oil' dad because "you don't know about cars !" ...LOL....he's right

Anonymous said...

Oh - I can so relate to this post - only it's usually my son that has these type of stories! E... I just LOVE those litte faces - did you use paperclay to make them? Really cute. I got your messages - I understand - and I appreciate you. Thank you!!!!

Pieceful Bits said...

My daughter shares with both of us. It depends on the conversation:) Car, dogs, repairs, and history = dad. All others = mom. Okay, I think I get the most talk time after all :)
Son hardly shares with either of us. Of course, he is spreading his wings right now.

sandy said...

I so identified with your comments to your daughter. I can hear myself saying the same things...lol
Love your vintage valentines!
Have a wonderful week!

Laura said...

A very smart girl...just like her mom:)

A Little Creation said...

My daughter is the opposite,she will tell her father things like that. It is funny how it takes both of us (myself and my husband) to have one conversation with her. She tells us both different things then we talk afterwards to get the whole conversation.
Chris =]

Ina said...

Police Academy? WHen did that happen?? Boxing? Well, it will be good to know for self defense. TSG sure leads an exiciting life. ;p

Celestial Charms said...

Ah yes, the family dynamics can be so interesting. My daughter always comes to me first. I'm usually the one whom delivers all the news and decisions to my hubby. He of course, gets the watered down version of the story from me...Men don't usually have the patience for all the details. :) Love those vintage Valentines. So cute!
Maureen

voyance gratuite en ligne par mail said...

I appreciate, cause I found just what I was looking for. You’ve ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye