Saturday, December 29, 2012

New Year's Kiss


My third year of marriage found me once again in my Hometown, where streets and houses and yards and trees were all familiar to me. It was the place of my childhood adventures, and adolescent growing pains, and the place where courtship promised everlasting True Love. The winter months found me teaching skating at the very ice rink I had met my husband.


I was completely caught off guard my first day of work to be called to by a voice from the past. Hank was the boy of all my school girl dreams. Rakishly handsome with auburn hair and ruddy complexion, Hank was the student with ease of manner in everything he did. He had grown much taller and much broader than our childhood days. It seemed Hank also worked at the rink during his winter break from college. I couldn't believe he knew my name.


Day after day working together, I found myself the center of Hank's flirtatious attention. The school girl in me blushed with each brief encounter, my heart beat racing just a little faster.


When my last student had left the ice, I would find Hank suddenly by my side a grin from ear to ear, "Come on let's skate!" He would grab my hand and pull me across the ice, our blades and laughter the only sound in the cold winter's air. I would enter the warming room to find my husband suiting up to play hockey, Hank his fellow teammate.


An invitation by Hank to my husband and me found us entering a party of my peers. The lighting dim, the music loud, Hank surrounded by his many admirers. I stayed shyly by my husband's side as the evening drew close to the New Year. Someone distracted my husband at the stroke of midnight. Hank's voice drifted to me from across the room.


"Part the way, guys! I've been waiting for this moment all winter long." Hank locked eyes with mine, stilling the molecules of air that were between us. He made his way to me and grasped me firmly by the shoulders and bent close to my ear.


"How did I miss seeing you all those years. Pat is one lucky guy."  I felt my husband's arm slip around my side and turn me towards him for a New Year's Kiss. The words just whispered in my ear spoken again by my One True Love, "I'm one lucky guy!"


Snowman and New Year's Clock use same pattern. Cut second face circle for clock, cut into center with pinking scissors close to outside edge. Tacky Glue in place.

Please do not Pin Pattern to Pinterest.





29 comments:

Celestial Charms said...

Oh Elizabeth, I had goosebumps just imagining how you felt that night. Such a thrilling memory. You know, we often don't think we make an impression upon those we think are more popular than ourselves. Funny, how that often turns out not to be true!
Looking forward to this New Year!
Maureen

Laura said...

What a lovely memory and your husband admitting that he is one lucky man...so sweet :)

Have a Happy New Year!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How romantic! And what wonderful memories! Happy New Year my friend!

craftyles said...

Such a nice story. I can imagine it.
Love all the cute crafts you made, Elizabeth.Happy New Years to you too.

Musings from Kim K. said...

Such a beautiful New Years memory. Ice skates and kisses. It doesn't get any better.

E said...

What a sweet memory and wonderful story, you sure have a way with storytelling :) I caught a glimpse of a snowman with a bluebird on his hat ... too cute !! Happy happy new year to you and your family, Elaine

Perfectly Printed said...

What a wonderful memory!! Love your New Years felt people!

Happy New Year to you!

chris

Unknown said...

Aw....another great memory! Happy New Year Ms. Elizabeth!!!! I hope 2013 works out to be a wonderful, happy year for all of your family!

Hugs, Sandy

A Little Creation said...

How romantic, it brought happy tears to my eyes. You are one lucky lady.
Chris =]

laurie -magpie ethel said...

Great New Year memory and your husband IS one lucky guy! Happy 2013!

sweet dreams said...

Dear Elizabeth, what a lovely memory! Love all the cute crafts you made,
Wish you wonderful and happy New year and for all of your family!





Tammy said...

You have a wonderful way of telling stories. Like Maureen, I had goosebumps by the end, too. Wishing you and yours much peace, love, health and happiness in the new year. Tammy

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

I feel like I was just reading a book, you tell cute stories so well! Such cuties in your crafty space :) Happy New Year! xo Holly

Unknown said...

Dear Sweet Elizabeth I can't thank you enough for opening the door to the marvelous world of such lovely creative women. My life has been enriched by your stories & your beautiful eye candy pictures. I pray the Prince of Peace surround you in the coming year & serenity fill you through & through. (((Big ol' hug))) :)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

What a wonderful memory, Elizabeth! Your New Year's creations are, as always, adorable. Happy New Year!

Cindy said...

What a great story! Have a happy New Year!

Holly said...

Hey, Elizabeth. This is such a beautiful story! I am so thankful that I found your lovely blog. This past year you have been such an inspiration to me and I just wanted to tell you thank you! 2012 was such a great year and here's to 2013! Happy New Year!! Holly
p.s. your craft room looks as cute as can be!

Janet's Creations said...

Sweet! Happy New Year!

Ina said...

Wow! What a beautiful recollection! Happy New Year! ;p

Pieceful Bits said...

Happy New Year!!!!

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

HAPPY
NEW
YEAR!!
Warmly,
deb

Rebecca @ Belle Blog said...

Happy New Year!! Love your blog post!

Rebecca♥

My Vintage Mending said...

Happy New Year sweet E...

Smiles..Renee

Sally Annie Magundy said...

Happy New Year and much joy in 2013 to you and yours Elizabeth!

xo

Anonymous said...

I love this story Elizabeth - it's so romantic and sweet. I can just imagine it all happening. Happy New Year to you and your sweet husband!

Erica said...

Happy new year! I've enjoyed seeing all of your holiday projects, and I can't wait for more in 2013!

Linda Ruthie said...

What a lovely story. I haven't been around to visit for a while so I'm looking forward to catching up on all the posts I've missed.
Wishing you and your family a blessed New Year!

Anonymous said...

These are generally brief phrase loans that do
offer you meet your fiscal challenges inside a desired certain time period.
Taking into consideration time limitations these loans are especially developed above an obligation no cost platform.
As such, these are kept totally free from credential checksums.
Challenges such as defaults, arrears, bankruptcy, CCJs and
even IVAs are not deemed here. Additional, there are also no collaterals linked with these loans.
There is minimal paper function required on the portion of borrower.
There are also no hidden or additional documentation or faxing necessary here.
Applying for these loans is also especially hassle-free.
Consumers only require filling an via the internet form and as soon as this gets authorized cash is received inside 24 hours time frame.
These loans are frequently offered beneath handy terms and situations.
The general standard applicant criteria right here is that they
ought to be a UK resident and of 18 years of age.
Here is my web site :: phpfox.kodesigns.co.uk

Carole said...

Happy New Year. :-)

I love that (looks like felt) New Year clock. Did you make it, or is it a found piece? Cute anyway.